Thursday, October 23, 2008

Prayin' With Tig...

After Jackson's ballgame Tuesday night I was teasing Pop (Jon's dad) that now that he has retired he should come be a reading volunteer at our school. You have to know Pop to know how funny that is. Being around a bunch of kids would probably not be his ideal retirement activity. I think he's still kind of freaked out that we have given him 7 grandkids! Anyway, I was trying to sweeten the pot so I told him that the volunteer brings a dog named Tig for the kids to read to. The premise is that the dog won't pass judgement when they stumble or miss a word. I think it's very sweet and my sweet little students' faces glow when they come back from being with him! But Jon the apple didn't fall far from Pop the tree so they just set to making jokes about it, i.e.: "Doesn't he tell them that was ruff, ruff." Now you see where Jon gets his sense of humor!

Fast forward 3 hours and Jon and I are lying in bed talking since all 4 kids were asleep and we could actually hear ourselves think. I asked him to pray for us. Let's just say he said two things and suddenly paused and amen-ed. I apparently snickered at him because he said, "I need to go pray with Tig. At least he won't judge me."

We got so tickled and lay there giggling and making more jokes instead of getting much needed sleep. Yes, I learned my lesson: I should stop judging my husband's prayers. I intend to work on that in the future, but that night I informed him that even Tig would agree that that prayer was "ruff".

Isn't he lucky he found me :)

1 comment:

KellyRose said...

Ok, this totally made me laugh out loud! I supposedly do this to Michael too. I tease him about how many times he says "Dear Lord,..." in his prayers.