Monday, September 7, 2009

Where Was I Last Friday???

I can't believe it, but I was taking my baby brother to college! How did that happen? My mom, stepdad and I took him to move into his new dorm room at MTSU. It was a lot of fun organizing his room and figuring out how to fit everything, oh and carrying it all up 3 flights of stairs since freshmen get the older buildings without elevators and of course he would be on the top floor!
I survived the many flights of stairs but still ended up feeling old. We were talking about text books, and I told him he'd probably need to buy the MLA handbook for citing on research papers. He said he'd just look it up on the internet. I said, "oh, cool." I thought, "We didn't use the internet much when I was in college. Did we even have the internet when I was in college? I'm old."
Then when we get to his room he and his roomate were freaking out because the wireless internet was out and they were going to have to actually plug their computers in to the phone jacks (I know, gasp!!!). I thought, "I arrived at college with a word processor which was really a typewriter with a screen. Everyone thought I was cool because they didn't even have that. I definitely had to plug it in. I did buy my first computer 2nd semester. It was huge and cost me $3000! I'm old."
Still, it was an absolutely wonderful day. It was great to spend time just the 4 of us. I am so proud of my baby bro for making it to college and ready to study hard- right Ty???
Then as we drove away (after I returned his keys which I almost left with-I'm old and forgetful!) I was thinking I remember that miraculous day when he was born, I remember when he started walking, I remember his first day of kindergarten...I'm old, old and sad and missing my baby brother and totally freaked out that I'll blink and it will be me taking my kids- yikes!
Before he left, we had a family dinner. Please enjoy the great pics while I have a little cry...

He might be going off to college, but there's enough of a little boy in him to still be the favorite playmate of my boys...



So, good luck and work hard baby bro. I promise to come visit you soon
(you don't mind if we stop by the scrapbooking store do you?)...

No comments: