Sunday, April 26, 2009

Our Good News...

Ashton has been saying for awhile that she wanted to get "bap-a-tized", so we have been talking it over off and on for a few months. We wanted to be careful and make sure that she understood everything. Today in Sunday School we talked about spreading the Good News. Tonight we put all the boys in bed and let her show us her Good News bag she made in Sunday School. She was able to tell us what each symbol stood for and what it meant. She even actually related sinning to Jonah and how he didn't want to got to Ninevah and disobeyed God and then asked for his forgiveness and went to tell the people there about God. Jon's mouth fell open as he is always amazed when they spout out things like "Ninevah". We then read the evangelism track together and she could answer all the right questions. She amazed her daddy again again by reciting John 3:16 though we quietly had a quiet giggle over her saying "God's forgotten son!"
Then we asked her if she had any questions and she immediately said, "Will my clothes get wet when I get baptized?" She is a 5 year old girl after all people! After we walked through the entire dressing room and complete wardrobe choices, we were able to answer more in depth questions like "What does Jesus do when he's in my heart?" and the other very important 5 year old girl question "Which of my friends have been baptized?" After a side conversation about how it is a personal decision and does not matter who has or hasn't we felt she was ready to say the believer's prayer! Jon and I prayed with her and over her. It was one of the most precious moments of my life! To know that you will spend all eternity with you child- priceless!!!

After we snapped this picture my daughter says, "Let's get some God and Jesus scrapbook paper and we can scrapbook these pictures and when I get bap-i-tized!"
She was extrememly proud of herself.
We let her go upstairs to tell her supposed to be sleeping brother who responded real calmly despite me standing behind her mouthing for him to be excited "Yeah, I told her about it and she said the prayer a week ago with me. Tonight's like her second time!" My little evangelist taking the credit! God knows for sure when it was said and when He wrote her in His book. It doesn't matter, but just like your baby's first steps you don't want to miss, for Mommy's heart and this blog we're going to say it was tonight!

Posted by Picasa
Next, she wanted to tell the world! She actually first wanted to call and tell her beloved Sunday School teacher, Mrs. Heather becasue she said she would be so happy for her, but since it was after 9 and Mrs. Heather is supposed to be resting we told her she had to wait until in the morning! Then she called some of our family and it was so sweet to hear her tell them!
When we told her it was bedtime she was like a celebrity asking us if we wanted to hug her and kiss her one more time! Jon and I had a good time talking afterwards about how different leading a daughter to Christ was than our son. He sure didn't have any questions about the wardrobe! I can't wait until it's time for the twins. Will they come to Christ at the same time or will one be ready before the other?
What a sweet, blessed night. I spend so much of my time feeling bad about what I don't do well enough (cleaning, laundry, patience) that it is wonderful to know apparently we're doing the most important part right, with the priceless help of an amazing church family! Thank you for each and everyone of you who have had even the smallest part of leading my child to this day :)
"he who belives has everlasting life" John 6:47

6 comments:

Betty said...

What exciting news!!!
I am so happy for you...I could cry!!! I am sending lots of hugs and kisses your way!!!

Alicia (dna) said...

Very sweet. It was God ordained for you to teach SS yesterday morning. How awesome that God blessed immediately! Thanks for your faithfulness.

Shawn said...

Oh my word!!! Ashton, I'm so excited for you. Mia and I are calling you right now!

Love,
Ms. Heather

Big Nanny said...

This is wonderful news! I hope she called Ms. Heather today.

Pamela Johnson said...

so precious. I love it!!

Sonja said...

Congratulations Ashton Dodd! What a sweet moment. Glad you got it all properly recorded for the books!