Friday, December 7, 2007

Of Cribs, Grinches and Singing Babysitters...

It is only 10:30 a.m. and so much has happened in the Dodd household already that I had to post about it even though I should be cleaning!!! It all started with a momentous occasion for the twins who slept in their cribs in their own rooms last night! This is very ironic for those of you who know how my poor husband killed himself to build them a nursery in April when I was put on bedrest, and now 8 months later they are using it for the first time!

My sweet, laid back Wesley lay right down in his crib and watched the rainforrest music and lights show on the side of his crib until he fell asleep. He woke up at 12:30 and 4:00 but went back to sleep after I inserted a pacie. When he awoke at 5:00I brought him to bed to snuggle with me just like I used to Jackson (who consequently slept in my bed until age 5, so maybe not the best idea, but really sweet!). He then slept until 8. This was the first night in a few he hasn't eaten. I'm so excited he slept so well in his crib, see..

Then there was Will...Jon had to swing him to get him to sleep. He wasn't as amused by the rainforrest as Wessie! He was be out cold and Jon would lay him in his bed, and he would scream like he had laid him on a bed of nails! It was awful! It took almost an hour to finally get him to sleep out of Daddy's arms. Yes, I know everyone says to let them cry it out, but that is hard to do when you have another one in the room you don't want to wake up! As usual, once he got to sleep he was fine. He didn't wake up once until 10:00a.m. looking very pleased with himself...
Onto the next child's drama. Jackson had to dress as the grinch today. We dressed him in green clothes, and I sprayed his hair green. He looked great! However, the face paint we had bought was only for adults. I decided not to let him wear it because I didn't want him to have an allergic reaction at school. Well, he had a come apart. Forget everything he did have, he could only focus on the one thing he didn't have! I was so frustrated with him because he wasn't seeing how cute he looked! Then I got downright mad when he wouldn't smile for a picture because, you know me: it's all about the scrapbookable moments! In a not-my-best parenting moment (boy, there's been a lot of those this week) I threatened to put his Webkinz in time-out all weekend (a fate worse than death to a 6 year old) if he didn't smile for my picture. Here it is, notice his heart that is "5 sizes too small". I even made him a bigger heart to change to when he wants to be the reformed grinch!

Upon reflection, I don't know what I was so upset about. My son is obviously a method actor. He was just getting into character! So, without threats and forced smiles by mommy, here's the REAL grinch as seen in my living room this morning!
Not to leave out the girl...After breakfast the babies like to sit in their bouncy seats and watch TV (bad parenting rears it's ugly head again, but they get mad if I put their toy bar on the seat as it blocks thier view!). I told Ashton to watch them and ran upstairs to grab a quick shower. When I got out I heard Wesley fuss, and then Ashton start singing. The crying stopped. I snuck down the stairs, camera in hand to see Ashton putting on a concert for her baby brothers. She was singing and dancing (songs from High School Musical, of course) and the boys loved it! You can't beat a singing babysitter, just ask Mary Poppins! (Please note the huge box of goldfish on the table that she grazes out of all day if I don't hide it!)

So, that's our Dodd day so far. There's much more to come as we try to get the green hair color out. and then we have a big trip to see Santa and the lights at Opryland tonight!

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Ashton and Mia need to start a business. The singing/dancing babysitting club. Mia dances and sings for Ella Kate when she's crying in her crib. So cute.