Saturday, February 28, 2009

Medical Confirmation...

I thought I would use this forum on my blog to confirm some rumors that have flying around about current illnesses. I know you have all heardd the rumors that are burning up school nurses' e-mails about what illnesses are currently circulating in the under 10 world. You know the ones I'm talking about "99 teachers were out sick at Longview! 152% of 2nd graders with brown hair have strep throat. Every toddler in a smocked outfit at church had the bird flu!" You get the picture. I thought I would take this moment to address some of these issues.

I know right now you are thinking, "Wait, I know Sonja is a nurse but I thought Tonya was a school teacher. Besides being exposed to every germ under heaven on a daily low-paid basis and knowing the look a 4th grader gives you before they do something in the floor that will embarass them and send you screaming for the janitor before you join them, what does a former school teacher know about current illnesses? Oh yeah, she homeschools too how could she possible be so knowledgeable about what's going on in the schools?"

Let me address my credibility and confirm those rumors all at once with a simple timeline of my week:

Saturday: Jon continues to whine, I mean suffer from "strep throat". Wesley proves all over that he has the stomach bug.

Sunday: After staying home from church so we won't spread or acquire more germs: Will confirms about 10:00 p.m. that he has the stomach flu as well. While Jon and I work frantically to address that situation, Jackson decides to join in on the fun.

Monday: Everyone seeming better, we head to Granda's birthday dinner. We return home where Will decides to reiterate that he in fact does have the stomach flu- on my couch!

Tuesday: Jon comes home early due to my tearful phone call describing how the twins do nothing but cry.

Wednesday: I finally take a lethargic Jackson to the doctor to be told he has the F-L-U!

Thurday: A lazy-get-nothing-done-for-holding-kids-day (and by lazy I in no way mean to imply the relaxing kind of lazy).

Friday: After a sleepless night and a 3 hour SOLID crying fest from Will we head back to the doctor to find out his ear drum burst! Yes, you read that right-burst! Apparently, despite the fact that he ran no fever it was infected enough to burst! Talk about feeling like the Mom of the Year!

Saturday: My mom calls to inform me that Ashton (who was enjoying a little alone time with Gram) is running a 102 temperature with sore throat. I make phone call to doctor's office, "Hey, it's me again. Yes, I know long time no see. Our insurance card number is..oh, you have it memorized. Of course you do."


So, there you have confirmed illnesses by my one family. I hope you realize that if my "unsocialized" homeschoolers can pick up this many germs the rest of you better board the bus with Lysol in hand. You can also kindly send in some Clorox wipes to their teachers. Trust me, they'll love that!

I have to close to go get dressed to drive to you know where for the 3rd time this week. I'm seriously thinking about taking Welsey along just to challenge them to find a different thing wrong with him because I don't think I mentioned (because I didn't want you to think I was whining or else I would have told you that Jon has to be at a manager's meeting 13 hours today, a Saturday, and can't even take phone calls) that Wesley also woke up with a fever and is crying as we speak.

If you've at all enjoyed this medical update feel free to donate to the "Buying Doctor Myers a Beach House One Fifteen Dollar Co-Pay at a Time" fund!

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Great post. Sorry for it not being so great for you. I'm glad for you that your co-pay is 15.00. Mine is $30 and I've been there 3 times this week as well...only one time for sickness though, so I think you're still way ahead of me.

Sonja said...

Dear me. I guess this explains why you weren't at church to sing the love of Jesus to kindergarteners tonight.

I'm glad I'm not having any type of get together this week. It would be a shame to have to uninvite you again :)