Thursday, May 21, 2009

I Have Failed, Failed, Failed...

For those of you who know me, I define myself as being a reader. Iread an average of 2 books a week plus several magazines. I have I always loved reading. I actually remember the first time I read a book on my own The Big Red Ball. I read constantly as a child. I practically had Little House on the Prairie memorized. I cannot imagine a childhood without books. Yet, did I pass this on? NO! I failed, failed, failed...

Yesterday in the car with Ashton as we drove by the old Kr*ger:

Me: Did you know there isn't a Kro*ger there anymore?
A: What's going to be there now?
Me: They are thinking about putting a church there.
A: How do you know this stuff?
Me: I read it in the paper.
A: Mom, I'm so glad you read stuff.
Me: I love to read (notice I'm really trying here). I can't wait until the day that you can read and we can talk about all the good books we've read together.
A: Ummm, yeah, NOT gonna happen. I mean I don't like to read. I like to watch stuff.
Me: :0 sniff, sniff

I have failed as a parent as a teacher as a homeschooler and as a reader. I blame bedrest. That is when I stopped reading to them every night because I wasn't allowed to go up the stairs and now I just don't have the energy after yelling at them for 30 minutes to get into bed. I know where I went wrong, but it doesn't stop the pain.

So, great parents and teachers out there: is it too late? Can I turn this around? Can I make her into a mini me who has more books than clothes in her closet? Can I get her excited to take my dream trip to trace the path the Ingalls family traveled in their covered wagon? Can I turn her into my future book buddy who races with me to see what happens next to the Baxter family children? Will she one day be excited to stand beside me in Stratford-Upon-Avon and see where Shakespeare was born?

Does anyone want to share their kids favorite books? (I also love reading children's literature.) Right now we are reading American Girl and Magic Tree House but I have decided this will be "The Summer of Reading" (like the "Summer of George, any Seinfeld fans out there?). They each have to read 100 books this summer. Feel free to place bets on whether this will actually happen :)

2 comments:

Betty said...

Now, now...she can have both...clothes and books. You should never "judge a book by it's cover" is my motto. I am a an avid reader and not ashamed of the clothes in my closet...those too have been shared and blessed by many! Sounds like you have a well-rounded child just trying to find her way with the most perfect mom ever as a role model:)

Angie said...

Boy Howdy, am i right where you are about that! I have also been an avid reader, and my kids seem to be completely disinterested!! Aaak! I do not know where i went wrong, but i am sure hoping it isn't too late.