Sunday, March 9, 2008

I survived...oh yeah, so did the kids...

Not only did I survive, but I learned several things about "big" boys and their parties. It's a good thing too because, as Jon pointed out while I was panicing during the initial roughhousing stage, I have A LOT more of these in my future! You see, I'm the group of kids person in this family. I'm the teacher after all! Jon gets scared of groups of kids. Right after we were married, we went to teach 2nd grade Sunday School, and I found him hiding in the supply closet begging me not to make him go out there! So, imagine my surprise when during the initial arrivals and ensuing running, tackling and general roughhousing I was the one panicing! I'm used to having authority and trying to keep that from happening. Jon was in his element. He took complete control and was totally calm. He acted like a drill sargeant and insisted they call him "Big John." He honestly was the perfect mix of playing with the kids and getting them to do what they needed to, which is honestly surprising because he's usually TOO much play and not enough on the other side! I was REALLY proud of him and grateful! So, I learned to let Jon be in charge of boys and me girls. He agreed readily because he's so scared of girls! I totally came out in the bargain because I don't think he realized that included the twins one day. I mean if Jackson got to invite four friends, does that mean they get to invite 8-YIKES! How cool is it that we'll have big bro Jack to help out?!

An hour before the party started, I was telling Jon and Jackson that we needed to figure out what order we needed to do things in because the teacher/party planner extradornaire had pin the horn on the dino, volcano eruptions, and edible science experiments planned. As I said let's get our plan together, Jon just shook his head at me, and Jackson said, "Mom, can't we just play?" So, much to my sadness, I learned that boys just want to hang out and play. I guess my game inventing days are over, and for those of you who've been to my parties in the past know that's a sad moment for me! All these boys wanted to do, once the tackling ended with Jackson getting hurt (at least it was my child so I didn't have to explain to another mama!) was play video games. So, they played X-Box, Nintendo DS, Gameboy Advance, Webkinz, and Playstation 2. How scary is it that we have that many? The biggest hit of the night (so much so that I did at least get to plan a bracket of who got to play what winners so everyone would get a turn) was Guitar Hero. We have 2 guitars so they could battle it out. It was hilarious to watch their style. Some sat very still and bit their lips while others (BJ) had to get their head and even leg in on the action! I'm sorry to tell you that some of your sons might not be naturally gifted with the guitar, and I'm even sadder to tell you that some of your sons might have a rock band in their future-yikes! Here they are rocking out...
I also decided that instead of buying a bunch of junk for goody bags (and since we went cheap by having a party at home) that I'd buy everyone a Webkinz. Here they are with their eyes closed in anticipation...
And here they are thinking, "Jackson has the coolest mom ever!"
And here they are posing for my silly pictures because they feel they owe it to the coolest mom ever...
***not pictured: having to pick a number between 1-20 to decide who got to use the laptop to log their new pet on first!

Finally, it was bedtime. We put up two blow up matresses and piled them in. I love this picture because it not only shows Jackson with his friend he's had since birth, but shows what 7 year olds are like- no front teeth!
I could never have planned any activity as fun as snow! What great timing! The only thing I don't like about snow is getting dressed to go play in it. Getting 5, no 6 because Jon was worse and slower than all 5 combined, dressed for outside wasn't my high point, but the fun and photo ops were well worth it.
Nothing beats a good ole' snow face!
Football in the snow: Notice how absolutely covered their clothes are!
Everyone hung out until about 11:00 and reluctantly went home. It was so much fun. I guess now we've set a precident and there will be many more sleepovers in our future, and that's ok because I have- BIG JON!








No comments: