Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Ode to The Cake Man...

I don't know how many of you know this, but my wonderful, manly husband makes all of our kids' birthday cakes. I think it all started on Jackson's first b-day when the cheap person making our cake fell through, and we had to find a costly, last-minute replacement. He had to pick it up and came home outraged at how much it cost and said he could do it better. We were having Jackson another first b-day party the next day (yes, we have that much family). Jon made a teddy bear cake for that one and has made everyone since. Unfortunately, that was before I was digital so this ode doesn't include the bear cake, Blue's Clues cake, Wiggles masterpiece (it was divided into the four Wiggle colors and when you cut into the cake it was that color) or, my favorite, the alligator cake of Jackson's or Ashton's flower for her first b-day. Here are the ones since...

Ahhh...the hula Barbie. Jon enjoyed making an icing bikini top a little too much, I think!

The doll turned out to be too tall for the cake, so Jon just sawed her feet off, and you couldn't tell. Unfortunately, he left the severed feet in our bathroom sink and 2 year old Ashton found them and cried hysterically. This is when he learned an important lesson about having a daughter: our dolls and stuffed animals are real and have feelings. Don't throw them, insult them or, for heaven's sake, maim them!

The bowling ball pull apart cupcake-cake. He made this despite the fact that we just sold our house, moved out in one week, took everything to storage, moved in with my mom, and he worked over 80 hours at his job that week! What a trooper!


The princess castle. It's the pictures of him making something really girlie I love best!

Last year, we simplified a little, but it perfectly matched the pirate theme!
Jon was bumbed that Hello Kitty was so easy to make. I literally had to take the icing away from him because he wanted to add more details, but then it wouldn't have been Hello Kitty!
And now we come to this year's science party...what kind of cake do you make for a science party? Let's be honest here, though I let Daddy take all the credit, I do help. I usually come up with the idea and do the plain frosting (he's not so good at doing the smooth part). I am also the creative consultant, and my favorite job is being the icing dyer. I suggested a sheet cake with some dinosaurs on it and maybe a mini volcano in the corner. Imagine my surprise when The Cake Man came home with pictures and instructions from the internet, 2 boxes of cake mix, 3 things of icing, his own dinosaurs, and...DRY ICE!!!!!!!!! Yes, you can buy dry ice at Publix, who knew? (However, don't buy it the night before or it will disappear in your freezer forcing you to go out in a snow storm leaving your wife home alone with 7 boys and have a really hard time getting back on the ice covered roads!)

I give you, The Cake Man's greatest triumph (if you don't believe me listen to all the boys' reactions in the background):

I am so blessed to have a husband who would go to such great lengths for his kids. I can't wait to see what masterpieces lay ahead for us. Just like you, I can't wait to see how The Cake Man handles twin cakes! Stay tuned, I'm sure he's burning up the internet as we speak!
*Please do not inquire, The Cake Man is not for hire. These cakes take as long as one of Picasso's masterpieces, and he doesn't have the time (mostly bc/ I won't allow it!) to do them for anyone but his own kids, he has enough of those to keep him busy!

No comments: