Monday, June 9, 2008

A Little Late...

So, last Sunday was our 12th anniversary but obviously with my illness it wasn't very exciting. We swapped goofy monkey cards (http://daddydoddsdailydoses.blogspot.com/) but it wasn't that exciting. So, I thought I would post about our other anniversary- June 6th. I'm obviously a little late, But here goes anyway...

Jon and I met at band camp when I was a freshman and he was a sophmore in the great way back of 1989. He'll love me telling this, but the first time I remember seeing him he was in full on make-up. See, all rookies got auctioned off to upperclassmen to be their slaves for the week. A group of girls bought Jon for like 80 something dollars and tortured him. I think somewhere in my soul I knew to save that moment because I can clearly see that moment when we passed each other, and he gave me that mischievious look that his children now give me. The second time I remember him was a few days later when I got to practice early and was sitting on the field and felt things hitting me. Then I realized this boy I barely knew was shooting the heads off of weeds at me. When I turned around again the grin; I should've known!

I actually went on my first car date with Jon, except I was dating his best friend and he was with another girl! We became best friends almost immediately and remained that way. Most of my junior year and all of my senior year we really didn't date anyone else and were inseparable. I think everyone, especially our families, thought we were a couple, but we considered ourselves friends. I knew I wanted to be more than friends the first time I saw him in his pin striped baseball uniform (love those things), but Jon was so scared we would "mess up our friendship", whatever!

So, we come to June 6th the anniversary of our first kiss! After a fun night of fishing at the golf course, Jon finally gave in and quit worrying about messing things up and kissed me. Thus, we consider that our anniversary of when we became a couple. This picture was taken one week later on our way to the beach with my family: Three years later we were married and on our honeymoon in Jamaica. Twelve years later we sit in Spring Hill with 4 children, no time for each other but are as good of friends as ever and more in love than day 1!

3 comments:

Shawn said...

awww, nice story. You guys haven't aged a bit.

Fireman Max said...

It's okay Tonya, you can say me. This really does bring back some good ole memories and Jon even had hair! :) I was probably dressed as a girl also since Jon, Mike, and I did win a costume contest all dressed as girls one high school dance. Very Cute and happy anniversary! I love you guys, ALL SIX OF YOU!

Sonja said...

fishing at the golf course?? So confusing!!!!

Congrats on 12 years!