Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Why Pediatricians Should Be Allowed to Prescribe Mommies Drugs...

As I sat in the doctor's office today, I'm not sure I have ever felt such pity in a look (except for maybe the 300 well-meaning-but-starting-to-become-annoying strangers that tell me DAILY "You sure have your hands full!"- my new pet peeve!). You see, she had just informed me that my boys have hand-foot-and-mouth-disease, a really scary sounding name for a virus. She had just delivered the bomb that it was a virus so...(all you frustrated mommies who want to smack the pediatrician every time they say this all too familiar line say it with me now) "there's nothing they can do for it." Thus the pitying glance and the dubious wish of good luck, not to mention the nervous laughter when I asked her if she could write me a prescription for anxiety pills. Such nervous laughter, in fact that I felt compelled to say repeatedly that I was just kidding.

So, we head home. We originally went to the doctor because Will and only Will had a temp. I simply took Wes to get her to look at a rash on his bum, but yet another joy of twins-germ sharing. By the time we arrived home at 2:30, Wesley had a fever of 102.6, a degree higher than Will's had ever been. FYI, if you haven't had the pleasure of nursing someone through this disease it causes a high, constant fever blisters down the throat that eventually spread to the hands and feet. All you can do is alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours. I remember wondering if I'd survive this disease when Ashton had it- and that was only 1 baby.

I often wonder why some of you continue to read this blog because I feel I complain way too often. I'll try to work on that, but not now. Now I need to vent. This afternoon was the worst 4 hours in the last 8 months. Imagine sitting in a recliner with 2 burning hot, screaming hysterically babies, and there's nothing you can do to help them feel better. I wasn't even able to get them bottles or pacies because they both had absolute come aparts if I out them down. I had to rely on my two super-helpful-amazingly uneffected by the constant screaming older kids. It was horrible. Even now they are starting to wake up after about 2 hours of sleep. This should go on for 3-5 days, thus the pitying look I received from the pediatrician who knew this and all the pitying looks all of you are probably giving the computer right now.

So, I'll close this post with a moral question: Do you think it would be wrong to wear earplugs to dampen the never-ending crying?

No comments: