Sunday, August 24, 2008

First (Staggered) Day of Kindergarten...

I'm afraid that this actually happened on Wednesday, but I've had to work myself up to blogging about it. I know you are tired of me being sad, but I had no idea I would be so upset to send my 2nd child. I htought I'd already done it. I know they will survive and that I'd be fine. I am crushed. This is my baby girl and my constant shadow. What will my days be like without her?

OK, moving on. I am going to just recount the facts and leave the emotion for tomorrow when she starts full time.

If you know us, you know that on their birthdays they get cinammon rolls in the shape of their age, so I decided to do one in the shape of a K- not easy, but she loved it! We had to change our all-important first day outfit because she had PE, but don't worry she'll debut it tomorrow on her first full day.
If you have girls you know, it's all about the matching hairbow! An apple one, how perfect is that?
I was VERY brave if I do say so myself, and didn't show her my trepidation a bit.
Daddy went to work late because he obviously couldn't miss this.
Saying good-bye to big brother before he headed upstairs to 2nd grade. I feel so much better knowing he's there and will walk her to her classroom, and so does she.
Here is our awesome teacher, and answer to my fervent prayer in the flesh!
Now, it did get rough as they read "The Kissing Hand" and they had to give us a kiss on our palm to take with us. We all got a little teary. Her sweet little eyes welled up with tears, but she was so brave!
However, while on the walking trail leaving I lost it and cried like a baby. Of course, Jon laughed and took my picture, but it was ugly so I'm keeping it to myself. Then I handed him the little bag of Kleenexes with the sad kindergarten poem on it. He only made it through two lines and...
I'm not sure if you can see the glint in his eyes from the tears he started crying. He didn't make fun of me any more!
When we got home I cried again when I saw a bowl of goldfish because she asks me to get her goldfish like 30 times a day, and I can't imagine my day without that.
Now, those 2 cries were bad, but then I opened the closet to see the floor covered with Little Ponies. You see, often when the babies sleep she and I play "Ponyland" in the closet. The thought of not getting to do that sent me full on into the UGLY cry. I still can't bear to pick them up! I had one more period of the ugly cry about an hour later while sweet Wesley looked at me with concern all over his face, and Will laughed at me!
What will tomorrow hold? I have lots of plans to stay busy so maybe I'll be ok. She's excited, and that is really all that matters. I can be brave!

4 comments:

The Dodd Squad said...

I am TOTALLY feeling your pain! I didn't actually cry until I saw him after the fact...he just looked so big. Tomorrow is going to be rough. Tell Ashton we love her and wish her the BEST Kindergarten year!!

Fireman Max said...

Emily is our little goldfish eater. She goes nowhere without them. It has gotten a little easier for Mistey now that she is working part-time. That keeps her mind occupied and like your two they have each other at school. The girls have been watching old movies for several days and I was dragged as soon as I got home upstairs to watch the other night with them. I lasted approx:5 minutes before I started balling as well. I'm a softy! Good luck tomorrow mom. Say a prayer for all our babies! :)

Shawn said...

Praying for you right now, Friend!
And I'll need you to do the same for me next Tuesday!

~H

Betty said...

You are truly brave to walk her to class. I made Keith take Rylee to school and Mia got to ride the big yellow bus with big sis' on her first day. I still cry on the first day and Rylee is in 4th grade! The Apple Bow was sweet and not because I am an Apple-really!

Love and hugs,
Betty