Saturday, August 30, 2008

This Blog Will Be Temporarily Postponed Because...

I'M GOING BACK TO WORK!!!!!

That's right. You are reading the blog of Chapman Retreat's new 2nd grade teacher (for 12 weeks anyway). Long story short, I applied for an interim but the principal hadn't started interviewing yet. Then when I was going up there to volunteer Thursday I was planning on handing the principal my resume and letting her know that I had passed the online interview that she had told me I had to do. I had a quick thought slip into my head, "God if this is Your will let it happen today." Then I thought that was being a little unrealistic. Let me just tell you not to challenge God because I walked into the office at 9 and was hired and being introduced to the staff by 9:15, seriously! My head was spinning as I met the teacher, and she told me she was due the 21st. I was thinking of all the things I had to do in 3 short weeks. At 4 I get a call from her saying she is having bloodpressure problems and has to stop work. So, I spent Friday at school getting a crash course in the classroom, and I take over full time this Wednesday!

Now, I will try to answer your questions I know you are thinking:

Yes, rest assured I am FREAKING out!

My sister will be watching the babies most days with one of my BFF's Angie doing it when she can't.

Jon will have them from 3 on due to his new be at work by 5 am schedule.

How to teach is slowly coming back to me. She is giving me complete freedom in running it how I want and teaching the way I like which is both nice and a little daunting. Lots of calls to my other BFF Amy who is also going back to work 3 days a week are helping as we are trying to remind each other what we used to do!

Yes, my children will be eating LOTS of take-out!

And the #1 question: WHY?

Right now I don't have to go back to work financially (not that a little cushion wouldn't be a welcome blessing!), but I want to. I have really been missing teaching. Five years is a long time to not do something you really love. The last 2 years have been really draining and this seems a good way to get a piece of myself back since I define myself as a teacher to see if I've still got it!

Mostly, I've always dreamed of being a teacher at my kids' school. One of the hardest things to deal with when the twins were born was because of the age difference if I went back to work when they started kindergarten, Jackson would already be in middle school. With this interim, my class will connect to his! We will share a cubby room, and I can peak over and see him. Plus, we can go on all field trips together, and I'll be at recess with him. Then with Ashton being there, I'll get to see her in the hall, and she'll know I'm there. I feel like the 2 big kids have given up so much of me for the twins that I figured the twins could give me up for 12 weeks so I could have this experience with the big kids and get to spend time just the 3 of us before and after school.

Obviously, I'm feeling a little guilty since I feel like I have to justify this decision to the blogging world! I know it will be crazy hard so I would appreciate all your prayers. I have high expectations of myself and what a better teacher I will be now that I am a parent and how much I want to shower them with God's love and be a good witness. Because of that, I already want to work on lesson plans 24/7 and am trying to figure out how to balance that with this other 24/7 job of being a mom I have (not that a lot of my working mom readers don't already know the difficulty of this struggle), but I truly feel like God has ordained this decision as I could write an even longer post as I told you how many things He worked out and how many people have had things fall into line for this to even happen.

So, don't be expecting a lot of posting for a while (or 12 weeks) but boy should I have some material when I have time to share!!

6 comments:

Big Nanny said...

Let the guilt go and enjoy your time teaching. I can assure you when those boys are older and you're dragging them to football practices and such, that they are not going to look at each other and say, "I wish mom hadn't gone to teach at Chapman's that one time for 12 weeks." Seriously, they won't!!! Guilt sucks!

Shawn said...

Oh my word!! I will be praying for you, girl!!
God is so good; what a great testimony.
~Heather

Sonja said...

Wow! Big news! That's awesome for you. The kiddos don't know how lucky they are to be getting someone that actually WANTS to be there and be teaching them. I'll be thinking of you and praying that the transition goes well.

Betty said...

I am so both happy and a little bit jealous that you are doing what you love and being with the ones you love all at the same time! God is so good! I look forward to hearing all about the adventures of teaching!

Ashley said...

I am proud of you and excited to see it all happen!

Kyla said...

I can't believe you didn't reveal the real reason you are teaching..to see ME more!!!!