Sunday, August 17, 2008

Kindegarten Testing...

Tuesday was my baby girl's kindergarten test. She knew this was a big deal. To my daughter a big deal= curling her hair! So, the night before we curled it "old school". I twisted it up and pinned it with bobbi pins like I used to do to mine when I was younger or before a Civil War reenactment )another post for another day?)!

Next, she had to have the perfect outfit. We both agreed, with surprisingly no arguments, that this was definately IT.

Finally, in the Dodd house any special occassion means a photo shoot on the front porch. I was thrilled with this one and am itching to scrapbook it: A little attitude showing in this shot!

She had to wear a necklace and chose this one that she got out of my jewelry box I had as a child.
Ahhh, those curls. May she never, ever ask me to cut her hair because I will have a really hard time, really!
This is why I love this girl. She is prissy and moody and beautiful but she is also really, really funny. She makes all of us laugh, actually the real laughter not the fake laughter we all give our children after the 100th made up knock-knock joke.
I don't know if I am capable to go into the feelings I am dealing with as she gets ready to embark on a new adventure that will have her away from me most of the day. Let's just simply say for now that this girl is my shadow and the thought of being without her is strange and horribly heartwrenching.
Photo shoot done, we headed to her test. I am so comforted by the thought of her attending this great school with all its great teachers. Still, she was a little scared so we paused in the car for some prayer and was comforted by the fact that though Mommy had to wait in the hall, Jesus could go with her!
She didn't give me nearly the details that I was hoping she would (i.e. EVERY thing that was said, that she was asked, that she did), but she did tell me "I must have passed my test because they gave me candy!" Fears conquered with Smarties!
When we went to have lunch with Jon, his first questions was "Did she pull one over on the teacher like Jackson did?" I didn't have a blog to detail all the hilarious things Jackson said about his test (like the fact that I spent weeks teaching him our address but didn't tell him it was called "address" so he told me, "They didn't even ask me where I lived. They did ask me what my address was, but I didn't know what that meant so I didn't answer it."). He also said that despite having known all his letters since age 3, "Mommy I got nervous and said the wrong names of some of the letters, but don't worry my teacher didn't even know they were wrong because she didn't say anything!" Thus, what Jon was referring to pulling one over on the teachers.
I told him I didn't think she had and then she said, "Mommy my teacher whispered to Mrs. Kyla could she borrow a rectangle, but I heard and so when she held it up and asked me its name I knew it was a rectangle!" She was so proud of herself!
So, there you have my sneaky kids, beware.
I know there are lots of posts saying this right now, but please pray for me as tomorrow we find out who her teacher is and in one week she'll be leaving me every day... stopping typing now to go hug on her!

2 comments:

Betty said...

Love the curls! And the mommy and daughter pic-priceless!

Sonja said...

cutie patootie in these pics! love them! Thanks for the good giggle about Jackson and his testing. Too funny. I soooo wish I would've had the blog from day one with kids. So many funny memories that I have yet to even get to in the scrapbook. blogging is so much eaisier for the everyday things!