Friday, January 4, 2008

Mission Organization

You know one of my resolutions is to be more organized, so I'm looking for some advice. The most un-organized thing in my house right now is the laundry. Believe it or not, it's not toys. The kids have never been the problem with that, it's Jon! WHEN the kids pick up they usually know where they go, but Jon is a big fan of if there's an empty spot put a toy in it, no matter if you're mixing Little Ponies with Legos! Now, thanks to my beloved label maker he's doing great! I finally have them so organized that EVEN Jon can figure out where they go.

It is a lot harder keeping up with laundry for 6! I actually really like doing laundry. I like the sorting process and the beauty of putting it in the machine and letting it do all the work for you! The break down is in the putting up laundry. We always toss it on the couch in my bedroom to fold and sort. That couch is currently a mountain of laundry. I hate putting clothes away and the mountain is so overwhelming! I'm thinking there has to be a better process. Right now I do a day of laundry where I wash as many loads as I can get through, but I never seem to have enough time to put them all away. So, I was sondering what your strategies are. Is it better to wash a load or 2 every day? I mix the kids clothes with ours. Is it better to wash everyone's clothes seperately?

I just needed some feedback so I can get this aspect organized and be able to actually sit on my couch again :)

Happy folding!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

My theory ( not saying that it works) I start (usually Monday's) with the kids. I do Callan and Silas together ( 2 loads) Baylor's alone ( 2 loads) and Eliza's alone (1 load usually since it is all pink but the Christmas Red threw me a little) I bring down their bins with me. I wash dry and fold on the couch in the keeping room and stick it all back in the bin to go upstairs. I do not mind the folding... I just hate the putting away. So sometimes it sits in the bin for a couple of days until the new pile of dirty bothers me. But, I obsess over folding it immediately because I have convinced myself that folding it immediately decreases the wrinkle factor and I cannot let it sit in a pile... if I do I end up putting it back in the dryer to fluff.

It is a constant throughout the day process. If there is time I go to mine and Brent's ( which I do seperately 2 loads each unless there is not that much then I combine) I am freaky about that too...all dirty hunter clothes get washed alone and if Brent's clothes smell like his office (or shall I say his workers smoke) then they are washed alone.

That does not explain a thing... or help at all does it? I weekly do at least 12 loads of laundry ( and that does not include dish towels which cannot be mixed and doggy pin towels which are washed alone)

Shawn said...

Well, I'm by NO MEANS the organization queen but, I do like to separate the kids laundry from our's. I wash Mia and Ethan's together, Ella Kate's separate and then the grown up laundry gets it's own laundry day. The only way I get it put away is if I fold it as soon as it comes out of the dryer. Otherwise, it sits for days. My sweet Shawn likes to do laundry, but he washes everything at one time, then waits to fold it all at the same time. I get way too overwhelmed! Just a few thoughts.