Friday, December 26, 2008

Our Redneck Santa...

For the past 4 years we have taken the kids to see Santa at Bass Pro Shops. We go there for several reasons. I love their really beautiful, traditional scene (traditional in TN any way) they have behind him. I love that I don't have to fight with Jon to do it because he never turns down an opportunity to go there. And, I think it has been well established on this blog that we're nothing more than glorified Rednecks, and we totally embrace that. Besides, this Dukes of Hazzard loving girl thinks their Santa with his authentic yellow beard looks just like Uncle Jessie (before you judge me too much, admit that you knew who Uncle Jessie was didn't you?).


We were even more excited this year when we found out they had made an entire Christmas village for the kids. It had something for everyone (in our family at least):


A free art station for Ashton:



Free shooting for Jackson:


Free, yes that's right free, pictures with Santa. This is actually one I took, but they gave us a free 5 by 7. This went exactly as we thought it would, please zoom in on Will's face:


This year we were given an all new reason to love Uncle Jessie, I mean Santa. I had already walked off with Mr. Will who was screaming, but Jon overheard Santa OF HIS OWN VOLITION call Jackson back and say, "Hey, I've been watching you all year, and you need to start being nicer to your sister." I promise we didn't put him up to that. I guess he's been around long enough to know that all brothers need to be nicer to their sister, though I can't imagine Bo and Luke picking on Daisy? (Before you send me e-mails accusing me of not being a true Dukes' fan I do realize they were cousins, but that didn't fit as nicely with my story.)


Anywho, Jon said Jackson's mouth just fell open. He was in complete shock that Santa knew what he'd been doing. It was perfect timing because the day before I told him Santa was watching how he was mistreating his sister. Jon and I were thrilled and decided that alone was worth the drive to Nashville.


Here he is trying to mend his ways. As you can see by the grin on her face Ashton was ecstatic by this turn of events, especially since Santa didn't say anything to her!

When they were shooting the crossbow he was being amazingly helpful to her. I told the "elf" what Santa had told him and he yelled over to Santa that Jackson was being nicer to which Santa laughed and Jackson blushed.

Posted by Picasa

Will was so sad to behold. Can you see the alligator tear tricking down his cheek?


Where else can you get your picture with a real reindeer- stuffed of course! Hey, I told you we were rednecks.

And finally, where else can you end the night setting up pictures that look like your 1 year old is being eaten by a giant fish? Good times.

Good ole' Bass Pro Shops, we love you at Christmas and the rest of the year. Now that our secret is out I know I'll see all of you there next year because doesn't all of that free stuff sound much better than the mall? Did I mention there are never any lines? That's right, who's the dumb redneck now?

No comments: